I have been trying to eat clean and healthy for some time now and have been experimenting with different grains and cuisines. Quinoa is one such grain that I have been experimenting with, it contains iron, vitamin B, vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and fiber. Also, it is gluten free and is one of the very few plant foods that is considered a complete protein as it has all the nine essential amino acids.
Today’s recipe is one of my favorite quinoa recipes as it’s colorful, wholesome and packed with protein.
Buddha bowl recipes include raw or roasted veggies, beans and some kind of whole grains. I have chosen quinoa here but feel free to replace it with any other grain of your choice, the most common one being rice. So let’s get started!
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
1 Medium Carrot, Sliced Lengthwise
1/4 Medium Red Bell Pepper,Sliced Lengthwise
1/4 Medium Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced Lengthwise
4 Small Mushrooms, Sliced Lengthwise
4 Sprigs of Asparagus
4 Cherry Tomatoes, Halves
1/2 Small Cucumber, Sliced
1/4 Avocado, Sliced
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Chickpeas, Soaked Overnight and Boiled
1 Tsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp Cumin
3/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp each salt + pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
1 Cup Quinoa, Rinsed
1.5 Cups Water
- Start with quinoa, combine quinoa with 1.5 cups water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Add salt, cover the pan and reduce heat to low, and let the quinoa simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and toss in chickpeas and all the seasonings.
- Cook for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Put the oven in broil mode (high).
- Toss Carrots, Bell Peppers, Asparagus and Mushrooms (separately) with oil, pepper and salt.
- Arrange all the vegetables on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 4 minutes, and remove the carrots and bell peppers in a dish.
- Bake mushrooms and asparagus for another 4-5 minutes and then remove from oven.
- See the photos attached below for more details.
Putting it all Together:
- In a bowl, put quinoa at the bottom, add roasted veggies, sliced cucumbers, tomato halves, avocado and chickpeas.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice and serve.
Roasted Veggies (other than tomatoes and cucumber):