This is one wholesome soup, it’s a cross between Indian Dal and Veggie Soup.
This recipe can be prepared easily with simple pantry ingredients, it’s a very forgiving recipe so feel free to add any other seasonings or veggies of your choice (like – green beans, red potatoes, green peas etc.). Turmeric is optional but I love the golden tinge it gives to the soup.
To make it a complete meal pair it up with a bowl of steamed rice.
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 tomato, roughly chopped
1 Tsp. ground cumin
1 Tsp. turmeric powder
1 cup orange lentils, washed and soaked in water for 15 minutes
3 cups water
1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Cooking the lentil:
- Wash and soak lentils for 15 minutes. Rinse the lentils.
- In a a dutch oven add 3 cups water and rinsed lentils.
- Add chopped tomatoes, half of the salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
Preparing the Veggies:
- Add Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped onion and carrots and cook until onion has softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cumin, curry powder and remaining salt, cook for another minute.
Putting it all together:
- Mix cooked lentil, veggies and chopped spinach and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice .
Serve hot with some rice!