Kanda poha is my husband’s favorite breakfast and he can eat it for breakfast everyday without complaining so I make it often specially on the weekends for brunch along with some hot ginger tea or chai.
There are several ways to make this healthy breakfast, the one below is the most basic version and is my go to recipe.
You can also add chopped carrots, peas and potatoes to poha to make it more colorful and wholesome.
1 Cup Thick Poha (beaten or flattened rice)
1/2 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Peanuts
5-6 Curry Leaves
1 Green Chilli, slit lenghtwise
1/4 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 tbsp oil
Salt as required
- Rinse poha in water, do not stir the poha while rinsing or it’ll break and get mushy.
- Remove excess water and transfer the poha into a colander.
- Roast peanuts in a microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies and curry leaves and saute the onions till they become translucent, less than 2 minutes.
- Now add salt and turmeric powder, saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add poha and mix gently.
- Cover and steam the poha for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add sugar and roasted peanuts and stir.
- Switch off the stove and let the prepared poha sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with ginger tea!
Step by step recipe with photos (clockwise from left to right) –