This is my go to summer salad recipe, so light and healthy!
It’s a great salad with interesting texture and Mediterranean flavor combined into one delicious salad. Also, this is one of those recipes that works with so many things.
10-12 cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 a jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium lemon juice
1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped (the green part only)
1.5 cups Israeli couscous
3 cups water
1 cucumber, cut into big chunks
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium mixing bowl combine sliced tomatoes, salt, garlic, jalapeno, olive oil and lemon juice. Set this mix aside for a few minutes so that the tomatoes can soften and absorb the flavor.
- Toast couscous on medium-high heat, stirring frequently for 3 to 5 minutes (You’ll know when it’s done by the nutty aroma).
- Add 3 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, partially covered, until the couscous is just tender but still has a bite to it, 5 to 7 minutes. If you overcook it, it’ll get gummy.
- Drain, rinse under cool running water and shake well to remove as much moisture as possible.
Putting it all Together:
- While the couscous is still warm, add it to the tomato mixture that we prepared earlier.
- Add chopped cucumbers, green onions, and cilantro and stir gently to combine.
- Season with black pepper and salt.
Refrigerate the salad for 2-3 hours and serve it chilled!