I was recently introduced to the healthy goodness of “Chia Seeds” and since then I have been thinking of ways to incorporate them in my diet.
I am still an amateur when it comes to baking but one thing that I can bake well is – a Banana Bread. I usually put walnuts in my banana bread to give it a nice nutty flavor, however this time I decided to replace walnuts with chia seed and that’s how this “Banana Chia Seed Bread” came into being.
1.5 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg (room temperature)
4 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup chia seeds
3 large over-ripe bananas (smashed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a loaf pan, set aside.
- Wet ingredients – In a small bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Now add egg, vanilla extract and smashed banana, and beat to incorporate.
- Dry ingredients – In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in chia seeds, and pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
Don’t forget to warm it up a little before you eat it!