Who doesn’t love some refreshing salad on a hot summer day? I do! Chickpea salad is one of my favorite salads, it is packed with protein and is actually quite filling.
It’s an easy recipe that can be made in a jiffy if you have some boiled chickpeas sitting in your fridge. It’s a very forgiving recipe so feel free to add any veggies of your choice, I like to add cucumber, onion, tomato and some toasted peanuts to give it a nice crunch.
For the Chickpeas:
1 cup dried chickpeas
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 green chili, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tbsp. mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 tsp. crushed black pepper
Salt to taste
Boil the Chickpeas:
- Soak the chickpeas in enough water for approximately 10-12 hours. If possible change the water at least twice this reduces the phytic acid and makes it easier to digest.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas beans with a pinch of salt on a low to medium flame for 20-25 minutes. You would need double the amount of water, for 1 cup of chickpeas you would need 2 cups of water.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid to check if the chickpeas are cooked properly. We want the chickpeas to be cooked through but should still have a bite to them.
- Strain the water and keep the chickpeas aside (you can save this water and use it as broth for your soups/curries or even to knead your chapatti or Indian bread dough).
Putting it all Together:
- Once the chickpeas cool down and are at room temperature, it’s time to put it all together.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, red onion, green chili, lemon zest, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, chopped cilantro and mint.
Spoon into bowls and serve!